View Single Post
Old May 12 2013, 09:09 AM   #182
Pauln6
Commodore

Re: IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
It felt like a cruel slap in the face for Majel.
Oh c'mon!

Fans have been panicking here for months re "Who's going to voice the computer now that Majel is gone?" I wasn't expecting to see Chapel onscreen, and I loved that she scored a mention in a funny and informative scene.

I saw the Chapel namedrop as an acknowledgement of the Chapel/Marcus friendship that was a major part of the bonus material in the ST III novelization (or a fluke coincidence).

I would also not be surprised if Chapel finds Korby on her own this time, perhaps in an IDW comic, for a spin on "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" It would be an interesting adventure for Science Officer 0718, too, when the Enterprise is called in to help.

I was both pleased but also a bit miffed that the security guards they chose to feature appeared to be Hendorff and Boma. Nice to see a comic character brought to life
Hendorff was namedropped in IDW's comics and STiD, but he's Cupcake from the first movie. And credited as "Cupcake" in this movie.

So how is he "a comic character brought to life"?
What I mean is, they could have referred to a relationship between the characters AND featured Chapel in a minor role (namely the research element of the plot or just as a nurse).

I THINK they did it because they intend to do the episode in the comics as you suggest and establishing this link now means that will be able to include Carol in that story (we don't know how often the character is likely to feature since she is not one of the Big 7) but in the meantime, I'm apprehensive and annoyed. Chapel was one of the few recurring women and she was played by Mrs Roddenberry. The fact that she was not well written in the sixties should be no bar to writing her well now. Was there really any need to officially strip the character out of the franchise? That really does show a total lack of respect for the character.

BTW I was talking about Boma - although I didn't spot his name in the cast at the end, I assumed that was who it was meant to be since he has been recast as a redshirt in nuTrek.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote