View Single Post
Old May 12 2013, 02:28 AM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Re: RoboCop: The Series

Lance wrote: View Post
It's interesting to note that it was scripted by the original scriptwriters of the first movie, and that it bears all the first movies' hallmarks of striking a delicate balance between drama and humor. I always felt RoboCop 2 in particular lost sight of that. It always felt like a very bitter movie experience, excessively so.
Yeah. R2's attempts at comedy were just crude and heavyhanded, usually using ultraviolence as the punchline for everything.

I'm aware of course that Madigan develops in a very different direction in subsequent episodes, but certainly in terms of this script she's a basic replacement for Lewis (I've read that characters were renamed from the movie for rights reasons, and can easily imagine a first draft where Madigan was named Anne Lewis). While I never really got the chance to enjoy the series at the time, I do recall the action figure line. I had the Robo, Madigan, Robo's squad car and Captain Cash figures. Without the context of having seen the series, Madigan's uniform appearance always struck me as basically being Lewis. Its a perception which unfairly colored my viewing of the pilot, but I am interested in seeing where they go with her.
Oh, I don't disagree about the pilot. She's obviously a renamed Lewis there, which is one of my biggest problems with the pilot. But fortunately that didn't extend beyond the pilot. It becomes pretty clear that Madigan was Murphy's partner before he was transferred and met Lewis. And that worked well. I mean, Murphy was killed during his first shift as Lewis's partner. They knew each other for a few hours. Madigan had more of a history with Murphy, which made for a better, more convincing relationship between her and RoboCop.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote