View Single Post
Old May 11 2013, 07:39 PM   #1575
Flake
Commodore

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Having Kronos 2mins away from Earth at warp is, well, idiotic. Why bother with a neutral zone when both worlds are now next door to each other? Klingon surprise attack by its entire fleet based at Kronos would be straightforward. It should be days away at least. Preferably weeks! It contradicts everything in Star Trek so far.
I guess you missed Enterprise's "Broken Bow"

And Deep Space Nine, where Earth, Bajor, Romulus, Kronos and Ferenginar were just a short Runabout ride away.
BillJ wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Having Kronos 2mins away from Earth at warp is, well, idiotic. Why bother with a neutral zone when both worlds are now next door to each other? Klingon surprise attack by its entire fleet based at Kronos would be straightforward. It should be days away at least. Preferably weeks! It contradicts everything in Star Trek so far.
No, it really doesn't.

Warp speed has always been as fast as the plot needs it to be. In TOS, the Enterprise traveled 990+ light years in a few hours. In TNG, Q hurled the Enterprise 7000 light years away and it would only take two years to get back to Federation space. In Voyager, it would take seventy years to travel 70,000 light years.
Yes I am aware of these episodes. I think Enterprise, Broken Bow was 4 days at Warp 5? or something? Its still a significant passage of time.

Runabout hops? My DS9 is rusty.. but where any of these hops 2 minutes? Do we know the travel time?

I know the ship travels at the speed of plot but the distances and travel times in STID are unprecedented in Trek and must indicate they are using a new kind of warp speed? Transwarp? You cannot deny this? The implications for telling a Trek story in future films or television are huge assuming they continue this movies continuity. The galaxy is a small place now. Smaller than ever before.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote