View Single Post
Old May 11 2013, 05:38 PM   #17
_C_
Commander

Re: Doctor Mora's influence on Odo.

Plus, it let Odo see things from Doctor Mora's perspective and realize Doctor Mora wasn't setting out to hurt him for the joy of hurting something. Doctor Mora literally had no idea the goo in the jar was a life form that would one day become Odo.

Sometimes, I think Odo antagonized Doctor Mora on purpose because he wanted the scientist to feel guilty and rotten about those experiments. Maybe it worked a little too well, judging by the yelling match in The Begotten. It's a great exchange that says a lot about their relationship.

ODO
You enjoyed watching me suffer.

MORA
Do you really believe that? How pathetic. If it weren't for me, you'd still be sitting on a shelf somewhere, in a beaker labeled "unknown sample."

ODO
If it weren't for me, you'd be a nobody -- Starfleet wouldn't hire you to judge a science fair.

MORA
I'm getting a little tired of standing around watching you. But I can't seem to pull myself away. I'm too curious to see what preposterous thing you'll try next! (re: the goo) Who knows, maybe after a few months, it'll get so tired of your incessant chatter it'll actually do something.

ODO
You'd love to get your hands on it, wouldn't you? You could sell tickets on the Promenade. (with a flourish) Doctor Mora's Chamber of Horrors -- open for business...
And later on...

ODO
I can't wait until I can actually talk to it. There's so much I want it to see, so much I want to share.

MORA
You'll get the chance sooner than you think. The changeling is developing far faster than you did.

Odo looks up sharply -- this seems like another jab from Mora, but this time, Mora backpedals.

MORA
I didn't mean that as a criticism. If anything, it's a compliment.

Odo looks at Mora, unsure what he's saying. Mora swallows back his pride, comes out with it.

MORA
I was wrong. Your approach to communicating with the changeling was sound. Don't you see? It was reaching out to you. It was curious about you. The first time you did anything even close to that was when you formed a tentacle to slap my hand away from the control panel.

ODO
I remember. I wanted you to stop zapping me.

The memory takes them both back, and despite the mixed feelings it brings back, they both find themselves smiling at it.

MORA
You've formed a connection with that changeling. (with regret) That's something I never managed to do with you.

ODO
(quickly) That's not true. (beat) I respected you.

MORA
You feared me.

Odo dismisses this impatiently --

ODO
You didn't know what I was. You were experimenting on what looked like a lump of organic residue. And that's what I'd still be if it weren't for you.

This last statement just tumbled out of Odo's mouth unbidden -- but there it is, and Mora knows it's as close as Odo can come to making the admission.

MORA
You don't know how much it means to me to hear you say that.

Odo looks away, uncomfortable with the emotion of the moment.

MORA
I'm sorry. I know that sort of talk makes you uncomfortable.

Mora smiles ruefully...

MORA
I suppose it's my fault, in a way. If I hadn't poked and prodded at you so much, you might have ended up with a less... forbidding disposition.

ODO
Something tells me that no matter what we do to that changeling, it's going to have a more pleasant disposition than mine. (a beat) It's just the way I am.
Source: http://ds9.trekcore.com/media/scripts/512.txt