View Single Post
Old May 10 2013, 09:52 PM   #64
gottacook
Commander

Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

beamMe wrote: View Post
gottacook wrote: View Post
What I would want is a modestly budgeted Trek adventure (with the original series characters, of course) every 9 to 12 months or so. Two-hundred-million-dollar blockbusters have to be lowest-common-denominator pictures with some potential for selling tickets worldwide, and are therefore compromised sixteen different ways before cameras even roll. A focused, more modest production can tell a better story, almost by default, and can still be something worth going to the theater for.

What got me thinking in these terms was that Philip K. Dick in "The Electric Ant" (1969) and Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said (1970/74), and possibly elsewhere, has characters casually watching a "captain kirk" on TV or discussing seeing one at a theater, respectively. That is, he imagined future U.S. cultures in which Star Trek (perhaps not even called that any longer) was just part of the furniture, as it were - something so accepted as to be almost routine, not even deserving of initial caps. This would be preferable to the present situation where Star Trek consists of an "event" picture, with all the requisite pitfalls, every 3 or 4 years.
I'd rather have an event than that wallpaper background noise you seem to prefer.
Each TOS episode was an event for me when I was a child. Sadly Star Trek turned into this routine background noise during the 90 and early Naughties.
I'm glad Abrams and his crew managed to bring back the spectacle and the heart of TOS with his movies.
Dear Starship Fleet Captain,

I respectfully disagree. Event pictures make themselves ridiculous by their very nature, requiring teasing of the picture years in advance (as in the present case), which all by itself I find off-putting.

Having smaller movies at more frequent intervals - even at the risk of them becoming "captain kirks" - would be worthwhile because no single movie would be such a big risk, would have so much money riding on it as to almost require a reference to a prior big hit in the Star Trek universe. For that reason alone a Star Trek event picture is self-defeating in terms of story. It's evidently the same impulse that drew Old Spock back in last time. For analogous reasons, the original Star Trek Big Event Movie (TMP) turned out to be a virtual rewrite of "The Changeling."

This simply underscores the finesse (accidental, perhaps, in some respects, given the various script ideas that were eventually combined) exerted in the making of TWoK. It too depended on a preexisting story but was able to be up front about it, possibly by virtue of incorporating the real-life passage of 15 years' time into the story. (By contrast, in TMP the crew has evidently never encountered Nomad; in Nemesis they've never come across Lore; etc.) Also TWoK was made fairly cheaply, even taking into account a portion of the initial cost of a few scenes borrowed from TMP; a more expensive movie requires heavier, costlier, downright oppressive marketing.

With respect to "Each TOS episode was an event for me when I was a child. Sadly Star Trek turned into this routine background noise during the 90 and early Naughties": I don't disagree with any of this. There were many TNG episodes that felt like events as well, at least to me. (I would even go so far as to say that most episodes of the post-TNG series became "background noise" in proportion to their musical scores becoming bland, featureless, and non-nutritious, but that's another story.)
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote