View Single Post
Old May 10 2013, 12:33 AM   #1321
Deck 1 - Bridge
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Xaios wrote: View Post
Deck 1 - Bridge wrote: View Post
a blatant rip-off of an earlier Star Trek film that even now stands the test of time in terms of story and spectacle
I had to stop reading here. Story, I'll give you that one. But spectacle? Please. Roger Ebert panned the space battles in Wrath of Khan when it first came out in 1982. Sure, some of the movies had beautiful visuals, but that's a far cry from being a spectacle. Before ST09, the only Star Trek movie that had really succeeded with the "spectacle" side of things was First Contact.
The uniforms, the bridge, the military and naval overtones, the music, the pacing, the human drama, the cinematography of the film generally, the 1700's style of 2 starships running alongside each other while firing, I could go on and on! I saw TWOK at the age of 12 and went out and bought the soundtrack album the following day, won't be doing that with this, can't say I'll even rent the DVD at this stage TBH.

The fact that a couple of crappy effect shots don't ruin the film is a significant factor in my opinion of this.
Deck 1 - Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote