View Single Post
Old May 9 2013, 10:26 PM   #179
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

gturner wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Of course, you have a source for that. Because otherwise, we would have to think that you pulled it out of your arse. Again.
Iguana, surely you're not implying that you know more about behavior in Italy than he does, are you?
Apparently he's shockingly ignorant about the subject, even though scholars have written books on the subject, famously breaking the homicides down by relationship, weapon type, lethality, and every other aspect that could be teased from all the police reports and court documents.

Such is part of a long series of studies of historical European homicide rates, such as this one (pdf). Europeans kept records of criminal cases, from which we learn a great deal. Italy in particular was studied because it was among the last countries to have its homicide rates fall from medieval levels to modern levels (a big S-curve that took centuries to drop rates from 30 to 70 per 100,000 to 1 to 3 per 100,000).
Of course, that's starkly different from what you said earlier. While I don't spend my days deeply fascinated by murder, weapons, and violence, even my untrained eyes can see the difference between a scholarly discussion about homicide rates in medieval history and a slanted narrative about those knife-crazy Italians, full of hyperbole and soaked in stereotypes. But that's exactly what we have come to expect from you.