View Single Post
Old May 9 2013, 02:56 PM   #173
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Re: Hawaii 5-0 Season 3 discussion/spoilers

jayceee wrote: View Post
Star Wolf wrote: View Post
And then came the buddy cop teams like Starsky and Hutch as the Five-O cast/cops aged out
Did shows like Charlie's Angels, The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, Bionic Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man, Rockford Files, etc ... compete directly with Hawaii Five-O ? (I use to watch these shows when I was a kid).
I don't remember the time slots I am thinking more of the cop show genre versus comedies and other types of dramas. The PI shows were like a middle ground between cop show and family drama IMO.

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
jayceee wrote: View Post
Previously I only really watched Hawaii Five-O in reruns when I was a kid.

At the time I was watching stuff like Magnum PI, and came across reruns of Hawaii Five-O while I was channel surfing. Not knowing any better, I thought they were earlier episodes of Magnum.
I think in an early episode of Magnum, they make reference to McGarrett, and I remember reading that the show's producers tried to prevail upon Jack Lord to make a guest appearance, but he went into retirement after Five-O ended in 1980 and stayed there for the rest of his life.
It was a first season episode and Magnum while in TC's helicopter makes a radio call and something about his authority came up so Magnum called himself McGarrett of 5-0. I always thought he was making a comedic reference the other guy would know he was referencing a TV show. Others think he was actually impersonating a police officer putting in H5-O Magnum's fictional universe. Sort of like Magnum started off as a TV show on Simon & Simon until they made a few Magnum/Simon's crossover