View Single Post
Old May 9 2013, 05:53 AM   #2187
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Christopher wrote: View Post
I liked The Vulcan Academy Murders and its sequel The IDIC Epidemic, but I always found their portrait of Vulcans a bit too idealized, too emotional, too nice. It was pleasant to read, but it never quite rang true to me as a depiction of Vulcan society and behavior. I also found its portrayal of the mating bond a bit implausible, with the death of one partner threatening the life of the other. I don't think it's consistent with later canon either (Perrin wasn't affected that way by Sarek's death, evidently).
Yeah. Like I said, the Vulcan in the novel is different from the one presented elsewhere. I've seen the complaint brought up that the Vulcans are too "humanized" in this novel, and it's certainly true that they're given a bit more "heart" than they traditionally have. I kind of liked the alternate version of the mating bond. I would have liked seeing some of the elements here brought forward into canon Trek.

Christopher wrote: View Post
There's also a timing problem. These two books show how Dr. M'Benga came to meet and later join the Enterprise crew, so they have to be before "A Private Little War," but TVAM has to be some time after "Journey to Babel" as well. In production order, that would be impossible since they're consecutive episodes. In broadcast order, they're only 9 episodes apart, which is a pretty tight squeeze given that Sarek would need time to recover from his heart attack and return to full health. Plus the book implies that more time has passed, or at least that's my impression.
Ah, good catch. I had forgotten that the episodes were consecutive (I tend to prefer production order over airdate order). That does make it quite problematic...