View Single Post
Old May 8 2013, 10:10 PM   #2186
Christopher
Writer

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I liked The Vulcan Academy Murders and its sequel The IDIC Epidemic, but I always found their portrait of Vulcans a bit too idealized, too emotional, too nice. It was pleasant to read, but it never quite rang true to me as a depiction of Vulcan society and behavior. I also found its portrayal of the mating bond a bit implausible, with the death of one partner threatening the life of the other. I don't think it's consistent with later canon either (Perrin wasn't affected that way by Sarek's death, evidently).

There's also a timing problem. These two books show how Dr. M'Benga came to meet and later join the Enterprise crew, so they have to be before "A Private Little War," but TVAM has to be some time after "Journey to Babel" as well. In production order, that would be impossible since they're consecutive episodes. In broadcast order, they're only 9 episodes apart, which is a pretty tight squeeze given that Sarek would need time to recover from his heart attack and return to full health. Plus the book implies that more time has passed, or at least that's my impression.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote