View Single Post
Old May 8 2013, 05:46 AM   #9
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Re: All right, all you JJ-haters! Put your money where your mouth is!

I think I see what BillJ is saying. Perhaps push it further into the future.

While I really enjoyed the first Abrams production, and am completely excited for the new film, my own ideas would be this:

1. Just do a full reboot. I think fans could get used to having a new universe with familiar characters but absolutely no ties to the previous continuity.

2. Embrace a bit more of what we're seeing in hard science fiction these days, such as ideas about genetic engineering, space travel, etc. In other words, perhaps see some elements of cybernetic and genetic enhancements for some members of Starfleet and other alien societies.

3. Emphasize the fact that the United Federation of Planets is a truly multi-species, multi-system society. Therefore (and this is extremely small) some of the main characters, say McCoy or Uhura, may not necessarily be from Earth but are instead from various human or Federation-settled colonies. I think they're doing a great job of showing diversity in Starfleet in the Abrams films.

4. Show more diverse alien species. Not every Klingon's a warrior, nor is every Romulan a potential member of the Tal Shiar. Of course, the problem is that I'm not sure how you can show this in a feature length film, but it's something that I think needs to be demonstrated, or at least mentioned, on the big screen.

5. The starship Enterprise in the movies begins in deep space, near the start of the its five year mission. They're so far away from Earth, in fact, that transmissions from Earth to the Enterprise take days to get there. So Kirk and co. are on their own in an unknown part of the galaxy, where they could potentially encounter Klingons, Romulans....and other, mysterious alien species.

I think I'll add more later, but again let me emphasize that I enjoy the Abrams films! I'm intrigued to see what other ideas folks come up with.