View Single Post
Old May 7 2013, 10:54 PM   #226
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: How Far Should TOS-R Have Gone?

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
It's not about being convincing (in this case), it's about bad composition. The entire visual balance of that image is strongly weighted to screen right, creating an off-balance sense. And the intersection of the hand and the Enterprise's saucer is smack dab in the center of the screen and set right on top of the planet's horizon. The result is an unbalanced visual jumble. The rules of composition have been discarded and a number of cluttered element are concentrated in the middle of the image, resulting in a lack of focus.

It's poor quality work. If you don't believe me, believe Maurice; he does this stuff for a living.
I see what you're saying, but my eyes seem to focus right on it without any trouble.

Maurice wrote: View Post
A good composition directs your gaze. The hand shot has too much detail on one side of the image, what with the hand overlapping the planet, etc., so it becomes clutter and the eye wants to jump off into the negative space to the left.
I should be more clear; it's that it doesn't bother me. I realize, Maurice, that you are correct in that it's probably poorly composited, but my eyes still see it as acceptable.

Don't feel bad, it's likely that my eyes have issues of their own (which they do).
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote