View Single Post
Old May 7 2013, 10:51 PM   #669
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

cabby wrote: View Post
Janeway is not a dictator, and is not exempt from law.
I'll give you that part...

Her simply giving an order to someone does not entail the crew following it.
...but not that one. A crewmember under Janeway's (or anyone else's) command is not allowed to question orders simply because of morality. It's not their place to do so. A crewmember may refuse to follow an illegal order, but not an 'immoral' one; Janeway is clearly not violating Federation law when she performs the procedure on Tuvix, so that alone absolves her of any legal sanctions. The question of whether her actions were *moral* is another thing entirely; but the fact that they were LEGAL makes the crew bound to follow them.

The crew has a duty not to follow immoral orders (as the EMH demonstrates at the end of this episode).
The EMH gets a pass, because he is also bound by his oath as a doctor. The rest of the crew, however...their oaths as Starfleet officers require them to follow all orders given them. As I just said, it's not the crew's place to determine morality. They must follow all legal orders, without question. Janeway's orders were legal. Therefore, by definition, they must be followed.
Everybody's looking for Stilton
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote