View Single Post
Old May 7 2013, 06:28 PM   #858
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
"Who Watches the Watchers" does indeed look amazing in HD, but I have to admit the story doesn't really work as well for me anymore. I just have a hard time buying now that these Mintakins, after leaving behind their supersitions a millenia ago, and who understand astronomy and have the presence of mind to question their beliefs (which puts them a step above many people today), so easily fall back into their primitive ways-- to the point that they're suddenly acting like cavemen frightened of thunder and lightning again.

Surely by that point they would have accepted there could be other beings in the galaxy, who might be more technologically advanced than them. Or that at the very least, they wouldn't assume that these magical powers they had automatically made them the "Overseers".

In the end, I couldn't help but think it would have been much quicker and easier for Picard to simply go down and tell them "Yes, we are creatures from another world, we were watching you, we're so sorry, goodbye." Instead of everything else they did, which just seemed to inflame the situation and make it worse.
Or simply beam Palmer the fuck up and leave a few villagers with a mystery they'd likely never solve and would move on from after a few days.

I agree, Who Watches the Watchers just doesn't work when you move past Picard's big speech about religion.