View Single Post
Old May 7 2013, 11:24 AM   #151
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

You know we'll have this debate again and again because unfortunantly they'll be another shooting incident in the States like Sandy Hook, Virginia Tech, Columbine etc...

Yes we all know that guns don't kill people, people kill people. It is however fair to say that the US has one of the highest rates of firearm realted murders out of what we would say are the developed nations (OECD, G20). Now of course other countries have their own problems which country doesn't? In 1996 both Australlia (Port Arthur) and the United Kingdom (Dunbalne) suffered from a mass shooting event, these events resulted in a public outcry leading to tighter gun laws. The response in the US seems to be an initial outcry that something must be down, only for little if anything to be down and a case of acceptance that these events happen and nothing we do can stop them from occuring. Which is true, in so far as all that can be done is to reduce the chance of such an event occuring.

Now I'm not a parent, but to me it would seem protecting my childs life is more important than the right to own a gun. If a gun ban would reduce the risk to my I'd take it.

Now of course places like Switzerland has high gun ownership but not as many of the problems realting to guns as the US. But is that in part due to the fact of National service? Or something else, or a combination of things?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote