View Single Post
Old May 7 2013, 06:30 AM   #1160
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

StarMan wrote: View Post
Point being, this girl and her friends wouldn't have been caught dead going to say... Nemesis. As a fan of Trek for the better part of two decades, this is the first time I've found my niche interest shared with ... shall we say, more *normal* people. It's refreshing.
Yep, that's how I look at it too.

This isn't the Trek I really want, but it's quite entertaining and it gets all kind of people to pay attention to the name Star Trek again (or for the first time). I love that my little 9-year old brother in-law (my wife's father remarried and had more kids) was psyched about the 2009 film and is psyched about this one. He was raised on The Clone Wars cartoons and SW in general, so he wasn't all that interested, or exposed to, Trek before it was rebooted and became a big thing again.

I was at the gym the other day and Into Darkness was heavily featured during TNT's basketball coverage. It's quite satisfying to see what used to be a very geeky thing that would never be targeted to that demographic, suddenly targeted to them. I even noticed people lookup from their workouts to watch it.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote