View Single Post
Old May 7 2013, 02:11 AM   #134
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Shopping for healthier food. Need Help.

[QUOTE=Kenbushway;8024725]
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Kenbushway wrote: View Post
I use Cavender's Greek Seasoning (Salt-free, of course) as a salt replacement and all around seasoning. This has lowered our sodium intake considerably.
Thank very much for the advice and tips. Funny thing I was actually listening to The Ozark Mountain Daredevils song If you want to get to heaven when I clicked on the spice link.

Definitely have to lower sugar and sodium intake. I live in Ga, so I know what you mean by southern cooking. Love it but it will put you in a early grave if you have heart problems.

Could I buy this Greek seasoning at a store locally?
I think you have Harris-Teeter in GA, don't you? Even better, I've been finding it at WalMart here in NC recently.
Kenbushway wrote: View Post
Now I am about to cook a steak in olive oil. I know it would be better to grill but I can't do that its to hot here. However, its not that bad is it? I usually saute some mushroom and onion that goes on top.
No problem cooking it in olive oil, but if you have a good non-stick skillet, you don't need anything except an olive oil cooking spray.

I marinate my steaks (some people love that, some hate it) in an olive oil/vinegar type marinade. Personally, I use the Greek marinade from Aldi's... it's inexpensive and delicious. When using this type of marinade, the oil is built in so you don't need to use anything except a hot pan on the stove, or Foreman type grill.

I understand how you feel about the heat and grilling. I'm the same way. Our back porch is open and H-O-T. With my COPD, I am content these days to let someone else deal with the smoke of grilling, too.