View Single Post
Old May 6 2013, 09:59 PM   #416
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Re: Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

Jonas Grumby wrote: View Post
By the time TNG rolled around, something had obviously changed. I think, by that time, Roddenberry had so bought into (or, at least, decided to exploit) the fan bullshit that he was some kind of great visionary that he saw his core audience not as the general public but rather as an elite clique of enlightened "Trekkers" who liked to think of themselves as members of Roddenberry's "evolved humanity" and looked down their noses at "20th century man."
Exactly the point I was trying to make a few posts back. The more you hear about Roddenberry's state of mind during TNG, the more it becomes clear he was deep into buying his own hype.

The most recent/best example of this is the new documentaries included with the Blu-ray sets. The season 1 set is filled with the staff from S1 who (to varying degrees of politeness) say as much, DC Fontana and David Gerrold are pretty clear about it as I recall. Others say similar things: Ron D. Moore literally calls it out in his commentary on The Bonding on the S3 set (and a politely implies it in his interview for Trek Nation if I recall correctly, I'd have to re-watch it to be sure), I believe Melinda Snodgrass implies it as well in the S2 docs.

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; May 6 2013 at 11:29 PM.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote