View Single Post
Old May 6 2013, 09:58 PM   #135
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

teya wrote: View Post
I see a lot of people saying, "There is no reason to own guns in this day and age."

Maybe not to them. Other people in other places have other perspectives.
You are right, I'm sorry. For some reason, people are just speaking for the overwhelming majority of people in western nations who live in urban and sub-urban communities, forgetting about the tiny percentage that lives in the wilderness, fighting bears and wolves on a daily basis. That completely destroys our reasoning, because everybody knows that ignoring a few outliners is something you just can't do when speaking about entire nations. So I'll rephrase. "There is no reason for people living in civilized places to own guns in this day and age. Exceptions allowed for wild folk and ravagers".

gturner wrote: View Post
What would it matter if we had ten guns per American, or a hundred? The people with lots of guns (I used to own thirty or so) commit probably 0.1% of the crime. Many of the states with ridiculously high rates of gun ownership, like Wyoming, have lower homicide rates than England or Italy. Places where they're banned, like Chicago and DC, might as well be a Yugoslavian war zone.

If high rates of gun possession caused crime, wouldn't soldiers and police make up 90% of the prison population?
Conspicuous strawmen aside (nobody has ever said that guns cause crime), care to back up your statistics with numbers, or are we going to believe that you pulled them from your arse as usual?

Because:

Firearms Homicide Rate per 100,000 population in Wyoming: 0.9 (source)
Firearms Homicide Rate per 100,000 population in England&Wales: 0.07 (source)