View Single Post
Old May 6 2013, 07:57 PM   #107
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

the G-man wrote: View Post
My mother got one in 1974, brand new. I think it started rusting about six months after she got it.
God did they rust. Then came the burning oil by the quart.

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Yeah, rust was a huge problem with it. I was little back then, but I do remember hearing about that car. Maybe that's the end goal--the bottom dropping out of the new company because of its reliance on the Chevy account. Maybe that's what finally pitches Don out a window a la the opening credits....if that comes to pass.
Well, the Vega sold and sold for a few years, a solid success. The firm could certainly argue that its inferior engineering was hardly their fault, if they're even still involved at that point. It will be interesting to see. One thing is sure, though: having an account from the biggest division of the biggest company in the world definitely puts the new company-to-be-named-later on a different level than they have known before.

As for the opening credits: Don -- if that's who it is -- doesn't go out a window, the floor drops out from under him and the whole room sort of falls with him. His world coming down around him, I always thought. I've never taken that too literally.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote