View Single Post
Old May 6 2013, 07:55 PM   #128
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I just find it odd that people respond as if the caricature Fu Man Chu original 60's version of Mandarin was expected. Was the only serious route possible.

The character has evolved like others over the decades. It may be that the Chinese co-financing is to blame for us getting a Mandarin in name only. They may have had a clause saying that in no form will a Chinese man be the serious bad guy. Shame really cause The Mandarin deserved to be taken seriously and the notion that Killian was also actually Mandarin, while working within the movie, is just weak.
I love that no one's even mentioned the implications of Maya Hansen's "demotion" in terms of the plot. I sense Lapis would have a field day given how the original comic (which is miles better than any Marvel move to-date) treated her.

Keeping her as the actual villain would have actually made things far more interesting, given how Tony has treated women (both familiar and public) over the course of three films.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote