View Single Post
Old May 6 2013, 07:43 PM   #826
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

cbspock wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
cbspock wrote: View Post
Now onto the High Ground....what an ignorant view of terrorism. Deep Space 9 did a much better job. TNG steeped in moral equivalence liberal political correct BS which just dates the hell out of TNG. Picard was good at looking down his nose at people and making speeches. Can't call out your enemy because it wouldn't be politically correct and it OMG offend someone. DS9 and nuBSG took a more realistic view into such matters.

The episode looks great however.

-Chris
Sure, DS9 did a better job, there's no doubt -- after all, one of its main characters was a former terrorist! I have yet to watch this episode on Blu, but I seem to recall Picard not only calling out his enemy (and chastising Beverly for arguing Finn's cause) but full-on decking Finn moments after he appeared on his bridge!

I would argue that the episode's view of terrorism is more simplistic than ignorant. Basically, what the episode has to say about terrorism is that it's bad.

I guess ignorant and simplistic would be a better choice of words.

-Chris
Nonsense, what the episode said is that terrorism is much more complex than it is made out to be by nationalist agendas. IE:9/11 is a horrible act, but may have been mitigated if everyone had taken a less hardline approach to the situation in the Middle East. There had to be some sort of compromise that could have been reached decades before that would have kept fundamentalists from hating the US. Just in case you think this is impossible, look at the metaphor of the Northern Ireland situation, seemed intractable at the time, but solved decades before it was predicted in STNG. We are also now seeing many hints of change in the Middle East.

RAMA