View Single Post
Old May 6 2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Christopher
Writer

Re: Novels based on the movie cast.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Think of it this way: Pocket paid out money on four manuscripts and decided to set them aside "for now". That's all that has been said publicly. No one at Pocket or CBS Consumer Products said "cancelled".
They haven't said "postponed" either.

I think it's reasonable to expect that, once the trilogy of films is completed, any story point difficulties will have been removed and the four shelved titles are likely to be revisited, reconsulted with CBS Consumer Products, revised (if necessary), and published.
I've told you over and over again that continuity and "story difficulties" are not the issue. If it were as simple as that, they could've been revised and published already. I mean, IDW has had no problem putting out a monthly comic that's consistent with the film continuity, so why would it be any different for Pocket? Yes, Orci (not Kurtzman) consults on the comics, but there's no reason he couldn't do the exact same thing for the novels if he chose to. So you're just plain wrong here.

I can't rule out the possibility that these books may be revived someday, somehow; after all, Engines of Destiny was eventually resurrected after being a dead letter for years. But that was the exception; there have been plenty of other cancelled novels that never saw the light of day. (Yes, some of the books on Steve Roby's page were resurrected, but most were not.) Books do get cancelled sometimes -- that's just the way publishing works. And every writer has written plenty of things that never get sold or published -- we learn to chalk it up to experience and move on.

So it would be most unwise to assume that these books must eventually be published. It would be nice if they were someday, but it's far from inevitable.

Pocket's investment on four unpublished novels, by four of their most successful/popular authors, would be in their interest to resolve. Eventually.
Compared to the losses the company suffered in the 2008 industry crash, I figure that's a drop in the bucket. Indeed, Trek tie-ins are a small piece of Simon & Schuster's overall business. And as long as the Trek line as a whole remains profitable, I doubt the accountants are losing sleep over a loss sustained four years ago on a measly four mass-market paperbacks.

I mean, really, from a publisher's point of view, a reliable author is a more valuable commodity than any single one of that author's books. From that perspective, you could say they've already made up the loss from the work that Dave, Greg, and I (as well as Alan Dean Foster if you count the STID novelization) have continued to do for the company over the past four years.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote