View Single Post
Old May 5 2013, 09:20 PM   #31
diankra
Commodore

Re: Rewatching Blake's 7

Now up to Project Avalon.
A nice touch is how the final shots sort of convey the ongoing plot: for the first five episodes, it's always a defiant comment from Blake about the need to fight back. Eps 6 & 8 end with Travis reiterating that he's going to get Blake eventually. Then Project Avalon ends with Servalan in control, giving the orders and stripping Travis of his rank as he's lying on the ground after saving her life (if she'd knifed him in the groin after spitting on him the symbolism couldn't be clearer).
And of course Mission to Destiny, the only real total stand-alone so far, ends with a comedy comment from Vila. Never mind.
On which subject... Vila really is underused this season. Almost aways on the ship, being lazy and cowardly. Gan's got a stronger role beyond the first three episodes. I can see why, once they'd decided to kill someone in season two, Terry Nation wanted to go for Vila.

Anyway, at nine episodes in, the only episode I'd remembered as being poor (Time Squad) was much better than I'd recalled. As I'd remember the next four as pretty poor (with occasional redeeming moments), I'm hoping they'll also give me a pleasant surprise.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote