View Single Post
Old May 5 2013, 07:38 PM   #46
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Saucer Separation

DonIago wrote: View Post
No need to roll your eyes, especially since I don't see how the part I left out changes anything. Just because we see Locutus apparently watching the battle doesn't mean anything. It could be they separated him out because he was the spokesperson and the Borg figured it made more sense for him to address Our Heroes standing independently rather than plugged in. Heck, they could have even gotten the idea from Picard.

I'm not really sure where this "command deck" notion is coming from either. Yes there's a big viewscreen thing in the middle(?) of the cube, but any other Borg could see it as easily as Locutus, and otherwise the section of the cube Locutus was in, IMO, looked essentially identical to any other area overlooking that space. Hell, the viewscreen itself seems to be more dramatic license than anything else. Why do the Borg need a viewscreen?
My point was that there is clearly something unusual and distinguished about Locutus, compared to the other Borg drones, in the attempt to assimilate Earth. To deny that is to miss the obvious. There are signs of it all over the place, including the one stated by Third Nacelle.

But all this is far afield of the thread topic, anyway.

Whether it was Picard, Locutus, or the collective that was confused by Riker's tactics, the collective still evidently based their tactical response primarily on Picard's judgment. As already mentioned, we can infer that that's so by Riker's utterance, "Just as you should, Captain," which, among other things, provides the viewer with some explanation of what is occurring.