View Single Post
Old May 4 2013, 10:45 PM   #85
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

farmkid wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Yep, that's right.

A 5-year old kid shoots his sister because his gun nuts parents gave him a fucking functional rifle as a birthday present, and the problem is parents who don't have guns.

Right.
That's not what I said; please don't put words in my mouth. If you bothered to read my first post it the thread you would find that I put the blame solely at the feet of the parents in this situation.
This is what you wrote:

I don't have to cower in fear over the possibility they find a gun at a friend's house or somewhere else and end up killing someone. I only have to worry that their friends might not have the same skills and training if their friends' parents are scared of guns.
So, by your own words, the main problem is not that there are 9 guns every 10 people in the US (including toddlers), or that it is considered somehow normal to give 5-year old kids a functional rifle. The problem is parents who don't own gun (or, as you so deftly put it "are scared of guns" and "cower in fears" of weapons) because they won't train their kids like they are some kind of baby militia. And again, this is the only proper answer to that.

Especially in light on this gem:

Guns can be used to kill people, sure, but that is not their only purpose by any means. They are primarily a recreational object but they can also be used for killing. Guns are a recreation object and self-defense tool that can be used for killing.
No, now that I think of it, this is a better answer to that.