View Single Post
Old May 4 2013, 08:06 PM   #66
Dr.H
Lieutenant

Re: "Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

About the Mandarin twist complaint, I really don't get it: The Mandarin is a mediocre comic villain who essentially is a chinese Doctor Doom born out of 40's racial caricatures. Sure, the character in the modern comics has long since evolved from the the shameful racist stereotype he was but even then he wasn't all that much of a villian to begin with. The only reason he even is Iron Man's greatest enemy is because Iron Man has one of the weakest rogues in comics history. His other villains are either bland businessman in suits who serve as dark contrasts to him or just one shots. He isn't Joker or Dr. Doom in which he deserves a faithful adaption that does justice to the character. Heck, the basic concept of the character is mindbogglingly laughable--He's a descendant of Ghegis Khan who happens upon an alien spaceship and finds rings that give him powers. Granted, one could argue that he was dis-serviced in a humiliating way but really in my my view it was more than worthy for a very meh villain. I enjoyed Kingsly's performance and his version of the character is by far the best version of the character in any medium, though that's not saying much.

Anyway, I enjoyed this flick but it need to be played more straight.

Last edited by Dr.H; May 4 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Dr.H is offline   Reply With Quote