View Single Post
Old May 4 2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Re: “In Conversation” or “Berman and Braga vs the world.”

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Watch Demons/ Terra Prime, then you will understand it. It took the Reeves-Stevenes to prove that Berman's concept was totally right and that the risk-averse executives were wrong.
it's been a long time since I watched that episode, but let's not pretend that the writers did anything new there. All Trek shows had episodes set on earth and they were usually succesful. It is funny however that you mention the fourth season since it was the season that Manny Coto took over the writers room. Manny Coto unlike Berman had a clear idea about which direction he wanted to take the show. Coto made an effort to turn Enterprise into a birth of the Federation Trek show. He accomplished more in just one season then Berman and Braga did in three seasons.

I am not against criticizing Berman but either he stayed in the franchise too long or he had too innovative ideas. You cannot have it both ways.
Berman wasn't innovative. I was actually trying to point out the exact opposite.

Talking about innovative ideas, B&B came up with the 22nd century Vulcans, the Andorians, the conflicts among the future four founding members of the Federation and a show with a decent retro feeling. Sure, it felt too often like a 24th century show and wasn't retro enough but I just went over that in the previous paragraph, you have the studio to blame for that.
The studio isn't too blame. That's just wishful thinking from some of the fans. The studio just wanted a show set on a ship. Not a show set on Earth where apparently we got to see Phlox enjoying the food in Chinatown. They agreed with the prequel idea, they agreed with the contemporary setting, they even agreed with dropping the name Star Trek from the title. As for the day to day production of the show, never in the interview on the Blu Rays did I get the idea that the studio was very involved or hands on when it came to writing and producing. Enterprise failed to captivate the fans like TNG, DS9 and even VOY managed to do. And it's all because of the quality of the writing.

And it's a bit sad that Berman and Braga try to use these Blu Ray interviews to shift the blame for their failure. Man up, and take responsibility!