View Single Post
Old May 4 2013, 05:57 AM   #104
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Ryva Takes On Enterprise (Again)

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Silent Enemy:

A pretty average episode, but better than most I've seen so far. Some strange aliens attack the ship, Archer is forced to acknowledge that the Enterprise's weapons are inadequate, and finally does something about it. Also, I find out that Malcolm and I have the same favorite food.

There's a moment in this episode where Archer displays a rare moment of maturity. I can't remember his exact words, but he basically admits to Trip that they weren't fully prepared when they left Earth. I'm surprised he actually owned up to this. Maybe he's growing a brain at last.

Except, if the Enterprise just happened to have the parts for three phase cannons just lying around, why haven't they installed them before now? They've had plenty of opportunities in the last five months. And why do they decide they don't need to go back to Jupiter Station anymore, just because their phase cannons just happened to work this one time during their encounter with this one alien ship? It also blew out half the relays on the ship. Not exactly the result you want to see in a weapon.

Anyway, the aliens were cool. I liked that they weren't just people with prosthetic makeup, but actually looked like aliens. It made them more mysterious and unsettling. Although something tells me we'll probably never see them again.

The B-story was kind of meh, and felt out of place, but at least they gave some attention to Malcolm's character. It's nice to see a Trek character who's introverted but not a jerk. And hey, he loves pineapple. So he can't be all bad.

Next up: Dear Doctor. Dun-dun-dunnnnn!
Well, even I can't find much wrong with this episode. Malcom's happy happy, joy joy that he gets to blow stuff up and get's pineapples. Though does Phlox just give away anyone's medical info on request? Guess that's small change compared to next week though!

Also, these mysterious enemies... as fascinating as they are.. naturally, you're right, we never see them again. But it was an entertaining episode, if rather average.