View Single Post
Old May 4 2013, 02:00 AM   #397
horatio83
Commodore

Re: Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

The season is not infamously full, it is just one episode. And it is not monologues but dialogues:

PICARD: That's what this is all about. A lot has changed in the past three hundred years. People are no longer obsessed with the accumulation of things. We've eliminated hunger, want, the need for possessions. We have grown out of our infancy.
RALPH: You've got it all wrong. It's never been about possessions. It's about power.
PICARD: Power to do what?
RALPH: To control your life, your destiny.
PICARD: That kind of control is an illusion.

RALPH: Then what will happen to us? There's no trace of my money. My office is gone. What will I do? How will I live?
PICARD: This is the twenty fourth century. Material needs no longer exist.
RALPH: Then what's the challenge?
PICARD: The challenge, Mister Offenhouse, is to improve yourself. To enrich yourself. Enjoy it.

Enjoy it, now that's preachy.

Offenhouse is a pathetic little creature for whom money is mainly a means for power. Given his behaviour in this episode you can easily imagine how he does or tries to boss around people during work. I take the 24th century human beings who do something constructive with their lives over some cretin who doesn't give a shit about his work as long as it pays well and thus empowers him.