View Single Post
Old May 4 2013, 12:52 AM   #65
Data Holmes
Admiral

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Reminds me of a story I read a long time ago. Must have been in 2009, where a father took his kid out to a gun fair and let him shoot what must have been a semi-automatic, and the kid couldn't handle the recoil and wound up shooting himself.
It was a full auto, it was in Mass I believe. The father signed the permission waver and the kid was with a trained instructor at the firing line.
You say that as if it clears up the whole issue and like there's nothing bizarre or misguided about a father wanting his young son to fire a fully automatic weapon. You can't even use the excuse of teaching the kid hunting or home defense for that. What purpose does a child, much less an adult who's not in the military or law enforcement, have with a full auto weapon?
I said that because I remembered the details. I don't think it was right, and I don't think the little kid should have been shooting it.

However, I have no problems with adults shooting, or owning a full-auto or burst firing firearm.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post

It was a full auto, it was in Mass I believe. The father signed the permission waver and the kid was with a trained instructor at the firing line.
You say that as if it clears up the whole issue and like there's nothing bizarre or misguided about a father wanting his young son to fire a fully automatic weapon. You can't even use the excuse of teaching the kid hunting or home defense for that. What purpose does a child, much less an adult who's not in the military or law enforcement, have with a full auto weapon?
+1 . Fully agree. I didn't want to make any assumptions about it being fully automatic or not since I couldn't remember any details, but knowing that it was indeed a fully automatic weapon makes the situation even worse. There shouldn't be any reason for this kind of thing to happen in the first place. Ever. It's totally irresponsible for the parent to be putting the kid in danger like that, trained instructor or not.
Indeed.

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
It seems strange that Kinder Surprises (Kinder Eggs) are banned in the USA because they are considered dangerous and yet there are such things as children's guns.
I totally agree. Banning those eggs was totally stupid and pointless.

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
It seems strange that Kinder Surprises (Kinder Eggs) are banned in the USA because they are considered dangerous and yet there are such things as children's guns.
Guns (unfortunately) have a much more powerful lobby than candy eggs with a toy inside.

People need to disavow themselves of the idea that everything happens uniformly in a country this big and this diverse with a dedication to individual and state autonomy. I'm sure the same people who advocated for banning candy eggs as a choking hazard would also not want kids to have access to guns. But they don't get to make all the laws. They can only pressure Congresspeople or state legislators to pass the laws they want, with varying degrees of success.
Your country is able to have a uniform law when when it comes to choking hazards so I don't think it should be impossible to pass a law prohibiting either the manufacture of children's guns or else a law setting an minimum age (maybe about 10 or 12) at which a child can use a gun.

In Australia guns control was a state issue, and we also have a powerful gun lobby, but we were able to reach agreement on banning certain guns. I admit we only have 6 states and 22 million people but the laws we reached agreement on were much stronger laws than just banning guns for small children.

You must have some federal laws that relate to the manufacture/importation of certain items (beyond a federal law that forbid eggs that contain toys).
why must you always try and pimp your country's draconian gun laws as not only being a good thing but something other countries should emulate?