View Single Post
Old May 3 2013, 10:17 PM   #762
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

cbspock wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
cbspock wrote: View Post
Just finished Survivors, I haven't seen this episode in years. It is interesting that Picard says that the Federation has no laws to fit the alien's crime??? So the Federation has no laws against Genocide????? If that is the case, why did Picard has such a tough time in I Borg??? In this episode Picard didn't know if the alien should be commended or punished? TNG was rife with this moral equivalence non-sense from time to time.

-Chris
I may be defining it too narrowly, but I think the term genocide doesn't quite cover the eradication of an entire taxon or species. As I understand it, it only covers groups within a species (ethnic, religious, etc.). What Kevin did is more like an artificially imposed, immediate, galaxy-wide extinction event. Looked at this way, Picard would be technically correct that they had no law to fit the crime because as far as he knew nothing like it had ever occurred before.

Really??? Then what was Picard's hang up with wiping out the Borg?

-Chris
Well, to be fair, Picard still unequivocally labels what Kevin did a crime (i.e. wrong). Whether or not there was a current Federation law that covered it (and as yousirname and davejames point out, how exactly do you punish or sentence a being who can wipe out an entire species with a single thought?). Once Picard figured out that Kevin was the only living thing on Rana IV and in fact wasn't human at all, his only concern was to get help for Troi and force him to confess -- the only realistic punishment available. His secret was out and now he'd have to live with it for eternity.

I assume Picard's hang up with wiping out the Borg was due to him having a conscience -- he recognized it would be immoral. Maybe this is naive, but I'd like to believe that most people are moral and good, not because they fear punishment by the state if they were caught committing a crime, but because they simply have no burning desire to hurt or wrong others.