View Single Post
Old May 3 2013, 06:23 PM   #52
farmkid
Commodore

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Yep, that's right.

A 5-year old kid shoots his sister because his gun nuts parents gave him a fucking functional rifle as a birthday present, and the problem is parents who don't have guns.

Right.
That's not what I said; please don't put words in my mouth. If you bothered to read my first post it the thread you would find that I put the blame solely at the feet of the parents in this situation.

Gaith wrote: View Post
farmkid wrote: View Post
I only have to worry that their friends might not have the same skills and training if their friends' parents are scared of guns.
You don't need any weapons training to be taught not to handle guns, and to get away and tell an adult if you ever see other children handling them without adult supervision. And there's certainly no need to snidely label all those who don't like guns as being "afraid" of them; it only makes you look bad.
No, you don't need training to not handle guns. But kids are curious and often make poor decisions. A kid who has no experience with an item but instead is told to never touch it will more often than not be very curious about such an item if they come across it, regardless of what it is. Now, if that item is something that seems very powerful and even magical when they see it on TV, and their parents seem to be scared of it (why else would they say to never touch it, especially if they don't have one?) it will only enhance their curiosity. I you actually believe that just telling them not to touch it and go find an adult is going to work, you have little to no experience with children.