Miss Chicken wrote:
Kiera Wilmot got good grades and had a perfect behavior record. She wasn't the kind of kid you'd expect to find hauled away in handcuffs and expelled from school, but that's exactly what happened after an attempt at a science project went horribly wrong.
On 7 a.m. on Monday, the 16 year-old mixed some common household chemicals in a small 8 oz water bottle on the grounds of Bartow High School in Bartow, Florida. The reaction caused a small explosion that caused the top to pop up and produced some smoke. No one was hurt and no damage was caused.
According to WTSP, Wilmot told police that she was merely conducting a science experiment. Though her teachers knew nothing of the specific project, her principal seems to agree.
"She made a bad choice. Honestly, I don't think she meant to ever hurt anyone," principal Ron Pritchard told the station. "She wanted to see what would happen [when the chemicals mixed] and was shocked by what it did. Her mother is shocked, too."
After the explosion Wilmot was taken into custody by a school resources officer and charged with possession/discharge of a weapon on school grounds and discharging a destructive device. She will be tried as an adult.
Rest of story here
Police report of the incident
I am asking people here if they think she is being treated too harshly or not.
Jesus. She's being treated way too harshly.
The reaction caused a small explosion that caused the top to pop up and produced some smoke. No one was hurt and no damage was caused.
So the bottle cap popped up and some smoke came out. Wowsers. What an explosion!
You can describe a Coke/Mentos reaction like that as well.
Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK is wrong with your country?! Giving firearms to 5-year-olds and wondering why eventually somebody gets killed, and putting some naive student in handcuffs and expell her from school just because of some playing with household chemicals.