View Single Post
Old May 3 2013, 08:52 AM   #37
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: 5 year old given rifle as gift, kills 2 year old sister

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Reminds me of a story I read a long time ago. Must have been in 2009, where a father took his kid out to a gun fair and let him shoot what must have been a semi-automatic, and the kid couldn't handle the recoil and wound up shooting himself.
It was a full auto, it was in Mass I believe. The father signed the permission waver and the kid was with a trained instructor at the firing line.
You say that as if it clears up the whole issue and like there's nothing bizarre or misguided about a father wanting his young son to fire a fully automatic weapon. You can't even use the excuse of teaching the kid hunting or home defense for that. What purpose does a child, much less an adult who's not in the military or law enforcement, have with a full auto weapon?
+1 . Fully agree. I didn't want to make any assumptions about it being fully automatic or not since I couldn't remember any details, but knowing that it was indeed a fully automatic weapon makes the situation even worse. There shouldn't be any reason for this kind of thing to happen in the first place. Ever. It's totally irresponsible for the parent to be putting the kid in danger like that, trained instructor or not.

Anyway, back to the original story. I feel for the little guy. He's going to need some counseling when he grows up knowing what's happened. Poor guy.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote