View Single Post
Old May 3 2013, 04:57 AM   #38
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Is Star Trek (the original series) aging really badly?

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
But then again, what TV series from the 50s and 60s are still watchable today? There's Twilight Zone and The Prisoner. I saw a few episodes of The Fugitive and thought they were okay. Sitcoms from back then are unwatchable.
Depends which sitcoms you're talking about. My Mother the Car is pretty much universally considered one of the worst shows ever. But at least it had a nifty looking fake old car (1928 Porter, which even got a model kit) and Avery Schreiber. And The Hathaways was pretty awful, with a married couple raising 3 trained chimpanzees (the Marquis Chimps).

But there are some standouts-- I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, which brought first fame to Bob Denver as Maynard G. Krebs. I first spotted John Astin, before he gained fame as Gomez Addams, from a failed series he did before that, called I'm Dickens, He's Fenster which was from one of the producers of the later Get Smart!

And then of course, there's Batman, which people could never decide whether it was a comedy or adventure show.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote