View Single Post
Old May 2 2013, 11:54 PM   #927
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

thumbtack wrote: View Post
It's not so much that they really, really insist upon it, but, in a down economy, they use it to reduce the flood of resumes coming in. That's what they're doing where I'm at.
Yeah, and it's ultimately stupid.

When I was working for a lot of government contractors, it astonished me how many really motivated, smart and useful kids came out of the military into tech fields with strong skills and found employment in the DC area really difficult. The sole reason was that most government contracts for computer-oriented jobs - and this was way back in the 80s - stipulated as boilerplate language in RFPs that all contract staff employed on the project have at least four year degrees. If you couldn't or didn't choose to do college but enlisted instead and got lots of practical training in real world situations (and that included a lot of classroom instruction for computer programmers, operators and so forth) you were screwed in the local market.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Yep. Either him or the guy working on the car. They're both making good money.
That's true. What I envy is how much he loves the business and the work. At his age I was making great money and was bored.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote