View Single Post
Old May 2 2013, 03:02 PM   #219
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Re: Convention Circuit - Least Favorite Person Associated With Trek?

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
It's a very small world down under, I don't think I could do it without folk being recognizable.

I'll just say this: if you can afford a 600.00 VIP ticket you can afford deodorant and a t-shirt that isn't crumbling off your back. That's a very general description of a great many people.
It's horror stories like this that have kept me away from any kind of geek convention. I'm pretty tolerant of all people in all forms, but one thing I can't get past is poor hygiene. I suffer from migraines, and olfactory "discomfort" is their biggest trigger. In other words, people who smell bad literally make me sick. I know it's probably a physiological thing and my problem, but it is what it is.

And to be frank, I don't know what is with nerds and not talking the occasional five minutes to hop in the shower.
Some American conventions have had to make a video about this (so I've heard) to tell the fans that they should bathe more (when I go, I bathe all three days so I don't stink badly) and some have also announced a 'we will ban you if you do stink and haven't bathed' rule.
I've been to tons of American conventions, and have never seen any such video, or heard any such announcement.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is online now   Reply With Quote