View Single Post
Old May 2 2013, 02:43 AM   #214
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
I was excited about Tebow + Manning thing and was slightly bummed when they sent Tebow packing, but this is what I came up with after thinking on it a bit..... As much as anything, Tebow was traded away because he would have been a terrible backup for Manning. Even if they worked on him and improved his throwing abilities, what he does is too far different from what Manning does. Basically, they would have needed a Manning gameplan and a contingency If-Manning-Is-Broke gameplan for Tebow. Denver needed a backup who could run a similar offense to Manning. A good place for Tebow to land and learn is a team that already has a gameplan setup for a mobile QB. That way, if he's pushed into action, they can keep the basis for their offense in place.
Pretty much dead on. The distraction factor is certainly something that a team has to consider though. Not many starters are going to want to be overshadowed by their backup.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.