View Single Post
Old May 1 2013, 06:14 PM   #251
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: 7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOIL

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Slugboy wrote: View Post
It isn't the interspecies part that is bothersome, but rather the vast difference in evolutionary levels, intelligence levels, etc. I can't imagine a Time Lord making any sort of meaningful connection with a human.
Now that's a bit of a paradox, because there is - maybe you've heard of it - a television series which is all about a Time Lord who spends all his time making meaningful connections with humans, and never seeking the company of more evolved species.
Indeed. Perhaps other Time Lords wouldn't be able to form these kinds of meaningful relationships with humans, but the Doctor loves humans. There's a reason he keeps going back to Earth.

Besides, at this point it has been several hundred years since the Doctor ended the Time War. He's been the only Time Lord (more or less) in existence that whole time. He's bound to start becoming a lot more humany wumany over the years as he spends more and more time with humans.

What I found funny about Matt Smith's arc with the Ponds was how much he almost "devolved" over time. He started as this old man who was sort of like a father figure to Amelia Pond, but over time, as Amy and Rory grew up and the Doctor kind of became like their son. At the end of "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe," when he shows up at the Ponds' house for Christmas, I felt more like he was their long-lost son who ran away from home, too scared to come back for fear of what they might think of him, only to return to find that they still loved him very much and just wanted him home.