View Single Post
Old May 1 2013, 05:55 PM   #79
teya
Vice Admiral

Re: Robert Picardo -- Best Male Trek Actor Next to Stewart

Melakon wrote: View Post
I thought the whole point of Twitter was so you'd instantly know when someone you followed had a really big burrito aftermath.

I find Twitter very useful. It's a social media platform used by the fiber community (as is Pinterest). But more than that, I discovered quite by accident and very early in my days on Twitter, it can me an amazing source of help in the midst of disaster.

Almost 2 years ago, the place where I'm from was flooded in the wake of Irene. Roads & bridges gone, homes & farms washed away. The local internet newspaper set up a central site for needs (folks stranded here, medications needed there, shelters are here, food is needed there...) and were constantly tweeting requests. From 3000 miles away, I could mostly just cry.

Then a request came through for kosher food at one of the shelters. I RT'd that to a follower in NYC who RT'd it to some folks at her synagogue who contacted the shelter and drove the food up themselves that night.

It was pretty cool to watch that in action. But even moreso was just the good will people all over the world were sending to some very isolated (and very disheartened) farmers. I've seen that again after the recent heavy snows in the UK--farm folks and city folks all over the world are just giving guys who've lost huge numbers of livestock some dearly needed encouragement and support. Social media has been a godsend for rural residents.

It actually makes going home possible.