Old May 1 2013, 01:45 PM   #25
Metryq
Captain

Re: Planet around Alpha Centauri - lets talk about it

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hey, no need to get personal.
With all due respect, you were the one who used the term "crackpot."

But what you're doing is ignoring hard evidence we already have that proves there are water and other volatiles on comets.
You mean like this evidence?

Cometary Asteroids
“The electric field near the comet nucleus is expected if a comet is a highly negatively charged body, relative to the solar wind…So the presence of negative oxygen and other ions close to the comet nucleus is to be expected. Negative oxygen ions will be accelerated away from the comet in the cathode jets and combine with protons from the solar wind to form the observed OH radical at some distance from the nucleus. The important point is that the OH does not need to come from water ice on, or in, the comet.”
In other words, a comet with a full coma and tail(s) is a dry rock at the nucleus. The material sputtered from the surface later combines with the Solar wind to form "water."

Does Science Admit When it’s Wrong?
As mentioned above, the Wild 2 mineral cubanite only forms in the presence of liquid water. And the mineral olivine was discovered, which could not have survived in the presence of liquid water over geological time frames. Also discovered was pyrrhorite/sphalerite, which requires extremely high temperatures. But then again, liquid water requires atmospheric or other pressure – it cannot exist in a vacuum. So the investigators needed the water to “quickly refreeze” after the presumed events that caused an original melting of “pockets of ice.”
The whole process of science is built around testing and questioning hypotheses -- basing conclusions on the evidence, and changing theories to fit new evidence.
In idealized science, yes, but institutionalized science induces numerous pressures to preserve a status quo. Grants and/or even careers may be at stake.
When I pointed this out, he admitted to a lifelong obsession with order and symmetry.
In his early years of research — when he supposedly collected real experimental data — Stapel wrote papers laying out complicated and messy relationships between multiple variables. He soon realized that journal editors preferred simplicity. “They are actually telling you: ‘Leave out this stuff. Make it simpler,’ ” Stapel told me. Before long, he was striving to write elegant articles.
What the public didn’t realize, he said, was that academic science, too, was becoming a business. “There are scarce resources, you need grants, you need money, there is competition,” he said. “Normal people go to the edge to get that money. Science is of course about discovery, about digging to discover the truth. But it is also communication, persuasion, marketing. I am a salesman. I am on the road. People are on the road with their talk. With the same talk. It’s like a circus.”