View Single Post
Old May 1 2013, 07:57 AM   #80
Ryva Brall
Commander

Re: Ryva Takes On Enterprise (Again)

R. Star wrote: View Post
Archer then expresses concern that by taking a prisoner they'll incite the Nausicans to be aggressive... yeah if you're not careful they'll start attacking your cargo ships or something. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think that torturing the Nausican for information was the right thing to do, but these are YOUR people Archer. Take the prisoner, promise the Fortunate you'll take care of things, call up Forrest and have him file a diplomatic protest to their government. That's how you handle things.
Yes! Like I said, I just don't understand his reasoning here. He said that by taking a prisoner, they would be inviting more attacks by the Nausicaans. Uhhh... So what about that? They were already getting attacked by them on a regular basis. What's the difference?

The Fortunate did take things too far by retaliating... but Archer wasn't offering ANY sort of alternative. Indeed he actively sides AGAINST the people he's supposed to be helping forcing the confrontation at the end. Between the Fortunate and the Nausicans... and him and his own people. I mean, if Archer's the best Starfleet has and he can't even manage basic diplomacy... the Vulcans are right, they need to stay at Earth.
EXACTLY. I know I said I would try not to compare ENT to the other shows, but during this whole episode I couldn't help thinking, "Well, Kirk never would have done it like this. Or Picard. Or Sisko or Janeway. What is wrong with this man??"