View Single Post
Old April 30 2013, 10:20 PM   #62
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Re: 10 Things a New Trek Series Must Have

CDR6 wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
CDR6 wrote: View Post
Not to put too fine a point on it, but if what you all say is anywhere true (and it might be)...WTF did CBS buy Star Trek for in the first place. (leaves me scratching my head)
They didn't buy it, it was given to them when CBS and Viacom split up in 2006 and divided Paramount between them. CBS got the television division (which included ownership of Trek), while Viacom retained the movie division.

As the owner of Trek, CBS is well within their rights to use the property in whatever manner they see fit, including their present manner as something they can license out to others (such as Paramount) and make money that way without having to invest millions into a new TV series.
Sounds good... (part of the deal I guess) However, they must see something in the franchise worth hanging on to. I wonder if anybody has offered to buy the "rights" to Star Trek from them?

Regards,
Chuck
Yes, they get merchandising licensing. They get the licensing fees netflix and cable companies pay for the old shows. They get the profits from the book division. They get a cut of the movie profit(with Paramount footing all the risk). That is all profit with no costs. Then they get the profit from the remastering efforts of TNG and possibly other shows.

Star Trek is doing very well for CBS given that it's costing them close to 0. And selling Star Trek is incredibly risky. If you sell and the new studio has a hit, then you look like an idiot for selling. If you sell and Star Trek is a flop, well then you did your job. If you're an executive at CBS, would you want to take that risk with your career? Or would you prefer to keep Star Trek in your archive and collect all the licensing revenue?
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote