View Single Post
Old April 30 2013, 08:27 PM   #42
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Saint Louis (aka Defiance)
Re: Things about Star Trek you just found out

Star Trek wouldn't have happened at all without Lucille Ball. There were studio chiefs at her own Desilu Productions that thought Roddenberry's idea was both silly and too expensive--but Lucy thought it had merit, and against their objections, gave the authorization for Herb Solow to sign Roddenberry to develop Trek into a TV series.

But it didn't stop there. Once TOS was finally sold to NBC, it still almost didn't see the light of day. NBC was only going to cover 80% of the cost of making the show, leaving the remaining 20% for Desilu to pay. Being one of the more expensive shows on the air, the conventional wisdom might have been to say "no deal" and move on to something else, but Lucy still thought Star Trek was worth something and gave the final okay.
__________________
"Everybody wants to rule the world..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote