View Single Post
Old April 30 2013, 08:24 PM   #93
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Mad Men season 6 (spoilers)

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I hate to say it, but I didn't buy all the(white) characters being that upset about Dr. King's death. Some of them, yes.
I said this exact thing to a friend at work yesterday. She was aghast. Hard to believe Roger wouldn't have had something snarkey to say. But I do understand that Weiner was showing us the perspective of the people who loved MLK or at least thought he was doing something important. It would not have suited the narrative to focus on Roger being "Roger" here.
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I, too, agree that not all white people would have been so broken up about the death of MLK. There would have been quite a few like Harry for whom it was just another well known person who died and life moves on. This happens every time someone famous dies---some are really affected and others just shrug and wonder what the fuss is about.
No, in America, in the 60's, MLK was a polarizing figure. People either grenuinely loved him or hated him. When he was killed, some wept, some rejoiced, hardly any shrugged.
the G-man wrote: View Post
And again as I mentioned earlier in another thread as much of a creep as Pete is, for some reason he's the most progressive white character on the show when it comes to civil rights issues.
This is one of the reasons I love this show so much. Pete is a character I would love to punch in the face every time I see his face and he irritates the other characeters in similar fashion. But, just like real life, there is more to the character than meets the eye.
By 1960s standards and putting aside his cheating ways And the divorce, Don is actually a pretty decent father to his son. The drinking isn't cool but taking an upset kid to the movies really isn't that bad of a thing. I thought his speech about fatherhood was one of the most genuine things we've ever seen come out of Don Draper.
The most honest Don has ever been on the show. His relationship with Bobby is not what it should be and that is Don's fault, but it does appear it may improve. May be too late for Sally and we'll see about Gene.

MEgan's reaction to Don's little speech was interesting too. He is such a fool. This woman knows more of his crap in just a year than crazy ass Betty knows to this day and she is still devoted to the guy. Megan is so smart and so GGG that I expect that when she finds out about Don's cheating, that will be it for their marriage.
And when his son is more worried about Henry then Don was a real punched in the gut
Killer.

This was a great episode.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote