View Single Post
Old April 30 2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: Starship Century event

gturner wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Vendikarr wrote: View Post

I imagine they will have a flag resembling the U.S. Civil War Confederacy's battle flag
Why? To draw allusions to a backwards little shit-kicker country that existed for four years and only came to exist in the first place because its aristocratic ownership class didn't want to give up their slaves? I think not.
But they could genetically engineer a class of servants, either adding human genes to apes and chimps or working backwards from humans to create people with abbreviated childhoods and sudden decrepitude to save on education and elderly medical costs. We could also add greater radiation tolerance, strength, simple problem-solving intelligence, and other traits that would be useful in space. The early ones would probably be corporate owned and licensed because of intellectual property rights and development costs, but reverse engineering the early models would be simple, so most people would probably opt for knockoffs distributed under the GNU freeware template.
I fail to see how any of those would be cheaper than robots.

I'm also not sure what any of that has to do with allusions to the Confederate States of America. I say without any exagerration that we're more likely to get space Nazis before anyone tries to emulate the Confederacy.

Most normal humans wouldn't volunteer to spend a century on a starship with no hope of ever seeing the destination, and it would be immoral to force them to make such a journey, but a new servile subspecies created for such a mission doesn't raise any such issues.
Again, there are easier options. If the starship has to be crewed by humans, you're better off packing it with convicted felons and/or religious dissidents as an alternative to life imprisonment or execution. Exile has in the past been a semi-popular technique for disposing of undesirables and the only reason it ceased to be so is because a fully-explored Earth no longer has places where undesirables can be safely exported without dumping them in someone else's back yard (although we still deport people in huge numbers). In the age of space exploration, exile is likely to be more common than imprisonment; prisons are expensive and irritating to maintain, but "Get out of here and never come back or we'll kill you" is relatively cheap.

We have a bright future ahead of us.
Some of is, slightly brighter than others.