View Single Post
Old April 30 2013, 04:43 PM   #62
Robert Maxwell
Original Recipe

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here’s How to Do It

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
"Rejoined" also muddies the waters, because it's not about Jadzia being attracted to a woman, it's about rekindling what was--once again--a heterosexual relationship.
Avery Brooks, who directed that episode, stressed that the significance wasn't on their gender but on their Symbionts and the past lives they had once shared. That's the way it should have been, have a relationship between two people, regardless of gender.
Yeah, the symbionts themselves appear to be androgynous and essentially bisexual in terms of hosts--that is, they go along with whatever the host's sexual preference is, since a host is just a host.

I'm not criticizing "Rejoined" for what it is, just saying that it's a poor example of a Trek episode advocating for gay acceptance. The particulars of the story are simply too complex for the allegory to work that way.

Since Trek has wussed out of having any kind of non-heterosexual main character, whenever they do include one if they are anything less than First Officer then there isn't much point. When they do include a gay character, it should be part of who they are, not their defining characteristic.
I don't think anyone would argue with the last part.

I think a big part of why Trek hasn't attempted this is that sci-fi fans are overwhelmingly straight males, and those fans often fit very easily into a chauvinist mold that favors traditionally masculine values. Kirk himself is a collection of traditional male archetypes. It's also why Trek has been willing to flirt with lesbian behavior--it's meant to titillate straight men, not teach us something about equality.

In short, Trek has long liked to pay lip service to progressive ideology, but falls far, far short when it comes to messaging on gender and sexuality. In that regard, it has changed very little from its inception in the '60s.