View Single Post
Old April 30 2013, 04:03 PM   #596
teya
Vice Admiral

Re: Janeway's Decision to Kill Tuvix

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
There was an episode of the medical drama Monday Mornings recently where the doners family found out that their son's parts were being given to a suicide survivor and they vetoed the donation because since they were Christian and they could not even tacitly support Suicide.

That can't be legal.
Kelley's a lawyer. He'll find something, let it percolate in his brain till the most outrageous scenario comes up. I haven't watched the show so have no idea how the family found out who was getting an organ from their loved one and what the recipient's medical issues were. They would not be told, however I could imagine them overhearing something in the corridor or elevator: HIPAA breaches happen.

(Donor families and recipients can be introduced if both sides are willing. It is, however, not at all unusual for the kidney recipients to meet each other--they're often in the same hospital under the care of the same transplant team. My sweetie and the recipient of the left kidney from the same donor corresponded until she died 6 years later).

However, yes, directed donation is legal. That's a pretty far-fetched scenario, though.

However far less far-fetched than the episode of Grey's Anatomy that had a doctor cutting the LVAD line of the patient she'd fallen in love with to move him to the top of the transplant list--and didn't lose her medical license in the process. That one really was beyond the Pale. And was the episode that turned me off medical dramas for good. I just can't suspend disbelief that much,