View Single Post
Old April 30 2013, 03:28 AM   #74
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: Animated nuTrek concept art

bullethead wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I'd kill for a Star Trek anime, particularly one with a artistic style along the lines of Bleach or Ghost In The Shell: S.A.C.
I'd kill for Tite Kubo to be the character designer on a Trek anime. The man can't tell a good story to save his life, but holy shit, he can make a wide variety of looks for his characters.

But if a Trek anime is made, Paramount better insist on the studio using the best talent they've got. So many of the anime tie-ins of Western IPs are tossed to lower tier personnel, which means they look kinda shit at times. Also, they better insist on having Americans write the show unless they manage to get the Yamato 2199 staff or something. I don't believe that most anime writers can avoid a lot of the alienating clichés of the genre after being forced to include them to get sales.
Actually, the script for the Iron Man anime is being done by somebody in the West, if I'm not mistaken. And the anime looks great.

A Star Trek anime could be done by the people who did the anime DTV Batman movie, or just like it, script-wise.

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
I realize that this makes me hopelessly old-fashioned, especially for a sci-fi lover, but I really miss good old hand-drawn cel animation. CGI used to be cool and innovative, and generally well done, but now almost everything is CGI. It's relatively cheaper and faster to produce, but more often than not, it's poorly-done and just looks... lazy. If they made a Trek series using cel animation, I'd be all over that. But if they went with CGI -- and I suspect they would -- it would have to be pretty high quality animation for me to watch it.
That's why I'm aiming for an animated series done the way I've mentioned previously, uncanny valley be dammed.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote